The RYA Yachtmaster Sail Certificate of Competence is a highly regarded qualification that is recognised worldwide and can be either coastal or offshore, whilst the RYA Yachtmaster Sail Preparation and Exam week is a week of intensive revision and instruction followed by the Yachtmaster Exam that provides you with the highest chances of gaining your qualification. It is a focused week of skills and drills to go through all of the syllabus of the exam and ensure you are on the top of your game before the exam which starts on the Friday and goes through the weekend (depending on the number of students). RYA Yachtmaster Coastal is a new pathway Certificate of Competency for an Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch on yachts less than 3000gt.
Do I need previous experience?
- Minimum age 18
- Competed the RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Theory course or have equivalent knowledge
Yachtmaster coastal skippers will need:
- 800 miles
- 30 days on board
- 12 night hours
- Two days as skipper all on vessels under 24m in length
However, if you have completed the RYA Coastal skipper course this is reduced to:
- 400 miles
- 20 days on board
- 12 night hours and two days as skipper, all on vessels under 24m in length
Yachtmaster offshore candidates will need:
- Minimum of 50 days at sea
- Minimum of 2,500 miles logged
- At least 5 passages over 60 miles measured along the rhumb line from the port of departure to the destination
- At least 5 days experience as a skipper (acting as skipper for at least 2 of these passages including 2 overnight passages)
A minimum of half the mileage and passages must be completed in tidal waters and within 10 years of the exam.
Candidates are only eligible to enter the exam if they hold a valid first aid certificate as well as a GMDSS VHF licence.
What will I learn?
The RYA Yachtmaster offshore preparation and exam week is an intensive, focused week of skills and drills putting everything together. You will practice the finer points of boat handling, planning, navigation and theory, as well as crew management and decision making. Finally, the course culminates with the Yachtmaster Offshore exam.
Course schedule and course costs
The RYA Yachtmaster Sail Practical Preparation and Exam consists of 2 stages:
- Monday – Friday AM (9.30AM onwards) is the practical exercises, as well as theory sessions, both day and night = £675.00 per person
- Friday PM onwards is the Yachtmaster Examination = £215 (paid directly to the RYA)
- Low student instructor ratio
- All moorings
- Expert tuition and guidance after the course
- Free parking at Saxon Wharf Marina
Unit 6 Saxon Wharf Marina
Lower York Street
To book please view our course dates and book online, email us or give us a call on 02381 242159 to discuss your training requirements.